We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. For more information, read our Terms & Disclosures.
- 1/2 lb brown rice (sautéed in oil, then boiled in water with 1 1/2 tsp turmeric and 1/2 tsp chili powder)
- 1/2 lb ground beef (grass fed, lean and rinsed)
- 1/2 lb ground sausage (to make this an “E”, just use a full pound of ground beef instead of sausage)
- 2-3 large bell peppers, diced (we used red, orange, and yellow)
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 TB basil
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper*
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper*
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
Start the rice cooking. In a large skillet, brown your meat(s). Drain and rinse off extra fat. Set to the side. In the same skillet, toss diced pepper pieces and sauté for a minute. Return meat. Stir in tomato sauce and spices, until well blended and steaming hot. Serve over rice. If desired, garnish with shredded parmesan.
*In our family, we use 1 tsp cayenne and 2 tsp black pepper, but I’ve been told by many that’s just too spicy. This cut back makes it more palatable for most folks. So be sure to season with your family in mind!